When we set out to create Roam, we were keen to develop custom inserts for use in our pocket nappies. Using an absorbent, natural and biodegradable fabric was a priority and so we decided to make our inserts with 5 layers of bamboo terry each, forming 10 super absorbent layers. We also made our washable wipes from 2 layers of bamboo terry.
Keep reading to find out why we opted to utilise the benefits of bamboo in our reusable nappies...
Our bamboo inserts are sold as a set with each Roam pocket nappy and they snap together for ease. If you’re using our pocket nappy on a younger baby, you may find you only need one of the bamboo inserts in the nappy for absorbency. We purposely designed the smaller insert in a contoured shape to keep the nappy trim, whether you’re using it alone or snapped onto the larger insert. Most babies will need both bamboo inserts after the newborn stage.
Bamboo is a very popular and versatile material and in recent years its use has increased massively - from plates and cutlery to toilet paper and toothbrushes. So what are the benefits of using bamboo when it comes to reusable nappies?
6 Benefits of Using Bamboo in Reusable Nappies:
- Fast-growing and self-regenerating plant that doesn’t need excessive water, pesticides or fertilisers to thrive
- Highly absorbent and wicks moisture away from the body 3 to 4 times faster than cotton, making it ideal for reusable cloth nappies
- Bamboo retains it's softness after laundering and air-drying
- Antimicrobial, moisture wicking, temperature regulating and odour resistant properties
- Bamboo Terry can withstand frequent washing and is very durable
- Absorbs 5 x more CO2 from the air than the equivalent amount of trees. Not only that, two thirds of this is stored in the soil and root system and isn’t dug up when the bamboo is harvested.
Of course there are many other benefits of using bamboo, but we hope this has given some in sight into why we chose to use it in our reusable nappies and washable wipes.